Urge Congress to include the following provisions in the next phase of COVID-19 relief legislation
Thank you for your efforts to combat the challenging effects of the COVID-19 pandemic. The support that dentists received though the CARES Act helped them keep staff employed and make needed upgrades to deal with the COVID-19 threat. As you look to the next legislative package to help with this crisis, I respectfully request you consider:
- Providing tax credits to small businesses for the purchase of PPE and making safety improvements to dental offices.
- Enhancing and expanding the employee retention tax credit (ERTC).
- Allowing coordination between the ERTC and Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) to allow employers to be eligible for both programs.
- Increasing the federal medical assistance percentage using an economic indicator, while also keeping in place maintenance of effort protections if used to support state Medicaid programs with adult and child dental services.
- Providing small business owners with liability protections against coronavirus-based claims.
- Enhancing the PPP to: allow certain 501(c) (6) nonprofit organizations to apply for the funds; permit the funds to be used for PPE; and streamline forgiveness for loans under $150,000.
- Ensuring that dentists will not be subject to income taxes on funds provided through the Provider Relief Fund.
- Incentivizing health care practitioners to work in health-disadvantaged communities that have been further undermined by COVID-19 by providing tax credits, federal grants, and additional student loan repayment.
- Supporting a significant, long-term investment in the public health infrastructure of states, localities, tribal governments, and territories, as well as the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention as it rebuilds from the COVID-19 response.
- Providing funding for the National Institutes of Health’s National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research to help re-launch research priorities to pre-pandemic levels.
- Providing funding for the Indian Health Service to help address the health care needs of American Indians and Alaska Natives disproportionately impacted by COVID-19.
Urge your members of Congress to support these provisions in the upcoming COVID-19 package.